“The Great Depression hit Utah even harder than most other states. From 1932 to 1940 Utah’s unemployment rate averaged twenty-five percent. In 1933 it reached thirty-three percent.” — Becky Bartholomew, Utah History Blazer, June 1996
Many work projects aided in attempting to reduce the effect of the Great Depression. The work of two such agencies, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) are still visible in Murray City.
The CCC consisted of young men from not only Utah, but from around the United States. They labored primarily on forestry and agriculture projects in rural areas. But when needed, they assisted other New Deal agencies. The nearest CCC Camp to Murray City was located near the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon. CCC Company 3340 resided in Camp Big Cottonwood F-38 and one of their more urban projects was the construction of hillside seating for the softball diamond in Murray City Park. This seating is still used today with modern railings added. See photos.
Perhaps the most notable public building completed by the CCC is the former Arlington School building on State Street currently serving as the City Hall and police station. Designed in 1938 by the well-known Scott & Welch architectural firm of Salt Lake City, it was completed in 1939. The collection of their drawings at the University of Utah’s Marriott Library include the Arlington School.
Unfortunately, the Arlington School may not last much longer sing the Murray City offices are supposedly moving to a new building.